Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Proposed content and format for my design context product.

Relevant illustrators and studios:

I have been sorting through my blog and personal collection of research to try and narrow down who, what and how I will produce my design context product. I have decided to include the following illustrators and design studios:

- Damien Weighill
- Allan Deas
- Parra
- Masa
- Alec Doherty
- Studio Oscar

This is because I feel these designers show vector based illustration in a range of variations and they are most relevant and influential to my work and in helping my overarching design context title, 'Vector based graphic illustration with a commercial application.'

Proposed Chapters and Subchapters:

- Introduction
• A brief into to say that my content will predominantly be on vector based graphic illustration, defining my style of illustration, looking where it can be applied and placed.

- Vector based graphic illustration:
• What is vector based illustration?
• The history and influences behind vector based illustration

- Vector based graphic illustration in the following contexts:
• Promotional retail
• Music publishing
• Book publishing

- Influential vector based graphic illustrators, Visits, Interviews and Questionnaires:
• Alec Doherty
• Para
• Allan Deas
• Damien Weighill
• Studio Oscar
• Masa

- Print:
• Digital print
• Traditional print

Design Context Product:

I still feel it is appropriate that my design product will be a book. I have also been looking into possible formats that my book might take the form of. This has proved somewhat difficult because i don't want to lose creativity when producing it and have to stick to 'A' format. If it is appropriate to stick to that then fine, other wise I feel it might be better suited to being a custom format. I would also like to look into it containing pull out section. Or maybe a fold out book which folds into a poster or set of posters. Some layouts below are ones that I feel may be appropriate to my product.

Book Layout Inspiration.






Found on: Behance, http://www.behance.net/Gallery/The-Worlds-Coolest-Hotel-Rooms-The-Cool-Hunter/235717
Work by: Clinton Duncan
Link to site: http://www.clintonduncan.com/

I particularly like the simplicity of his layout. It makes it very clear to understand and process, jeeping the viewers attention and leading the viewers eye around the page. I also like the block colour and use of blank space.








Found on: Behance, http://www.behance.net/Gallery/Small-set-of-books/147135
Work by: Vladimir Koncar
Link to site: http://www.koncar.info

What I liked about this concept was that it was a small set of books and each came with a poster, except the poster was the book jacket and was removable so that you could folding it out and then use it as a normal poster. Very cool. For me it is the concept with this though, not the actual designs and illustration or colour choices. Those I'm not so keen on...

Things to think about:

At the moment I have no idea what the following will be:

- Typeface
- Colour Scheme
- Format Measurements
- Questionnaire that I send to my chosen illustrators and studios
- Which images that I shall include

No comments:

Post a Comment