Monday, April 19, 2010

Allan Deas







This is a guy who I've mentioned before on here. He's got a great website and some great work on there. Go check it out :)

http://web.mac.com/allan.deas/iWeb/allandeas.com/index.html.html

I've also been in touch with him and while back and also very recently to ask him a few questions about his style of working and where he sees his work contextualised. He was a great help and got back to me straight away. Someone who I'd like to possibly maybe incorporate into my design context product. The communication we have had so far is as follows...

Re: Illustration‏
From: Allan Deas (allan.deas@mac.com)
Sent: 21 April 2010 00:23:14
To: Liv Greaves (liv_952@hotmail.com)

Hi Olivia,

Thanks again for your continued interest!
In answer to your questions - I have been working in design for over 10 years doing illustration as well as graphics & apparel/print for the fashion industry.
I do work in vector though vector made from scanned drawings. I would describe my style as bold, block colours retro modern. fun. cheeky.... To be honest that's the question I hate! How would you describe it?

I had a quick look at your blogs... there are many!! looking good... :)

Anyway keep up the good work!

Best

Allan


On 19 Apr 2010, at 16:38, Liv Greaves wrote:

Hi Allan,

Thanks for getting in touch with me earlier last year - Sorry for the lengthy gap in between now and then!! I am still really interested in having a chat with you about your work. I am currently doing a bit of research into vector based graphic illustration. I was wondering how you would describe your style and if I might be able to ask you a bit about vector illustration? How long have you been working as an illustrator? Vector illustration is what I would like to do myself and I am currently looking at where this kind of work can be contextualised. Would you be able to help? This is a link to my blog home page:http://o-greaves0710.blogspot.com/
Would you be able to have a peek and tell me what you think?

Many thanks,
I look forward to hearing back from you soon,

Olivia Greaves.


From: allan.deas@mac.com
To: liv_952@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Illustration
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 22:53:22 +0100

Hi Liv

Cool - yes feel free to send me some or a link to your website/myspace etc.

I do freelance, though freelancing does require working with other designers/art directors etc. I used to share a studio with other illustrators but now I work on my own from home.

If you have some things you particularly want to know then make a list of questions and I'll try & answer them when I get a chance.
I'm off on holiday tomorrow for a few weeks so will look at it when I come back and hopefully I can help you with your queries.


Cheers

Al

On 26 May 2009, at 22:45, Liv Greaves wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch so soon!
Well, I'm currently working on some illustrations of my own and wondered if it would be possible to perhaps send you some and see what you think of them. Do you work with any other illustrators or designers or do you just freelance? I'm really into tshirt graphics myself but didn't know if my own illustrations were strong enough. I'm currently studying graphic design at The College of Art in Leeds and leaning more towards practice in illustration and image making.
It would be great to learn a bit about your way of working and design generation.

Olivia


From: allan.deas@mac.com
To: liv_952@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Illustration
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:17:58 +0100

Hi Olivia

Thanks for your interest in my work. Glad you like it!

I'm based in East London.

What was it you wanted to know? At the moment I'm working on a tshirt graphics project as I do that as well as the illustration but I'm really trying to push for more illustration work as that's the direction I want to go in.

If you were interested in working with me let me know what you had in mind and we can take it from there.

best

Allan

On 26 May 2009, at 16:07, Liv Greaves wrote:

Hi Allan,

I was accidently directed to your website today, searching for a piece of illustration and I must say it was a very pleasant surprise! What a fabulous blog and website you have. Your style of illustration is exactly what I love and I would love it if I could possibly have a chat with you or get in touch about illustration and your work. Where abouts are you based? And what other projects do you work on?

Would be great if you could get in touch.
Many thanks,

Olivia Greaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment